In 1965--67 the Post Office moved from downtown Gainesville to North Green St. and displaced several historical residences. The loss of historic houses on North Green St. precipitated the organization of the Hall County Historical Society, Inc.
In 1975 the Society obtained approval for the Green Street Historic District on the National Register for Historic Places. In 1977 when the Ga. DOT and the City attempted to widen Green Street the Society petitioned the U.S. District Court and obtained a permanent injunction against widening Green Street.
Other projects which have occupied the Hall County Historical Society are:
*Helped develop guidelines for the Gainesville Historic Preservation Ordinance & the Historic Preservation Commission.
*Supports the preservation, redevelopment & revitalization of the South Main St./South Bradford St. area known as Midtown.
*Rescued & hopes to relocate a 1960's era Cold War Nuclear Fallout Shelter. *Established the Gainesville-Hall Trust for Historic Preservation, Inc. which was instrumental in restoring and renovating what was left of the historical Piedmont Hotel that was once owned by CSA General James Longstreet.
*Established the Head's Mill Historic Preservation Trust, Inc. that formed an alliance with the Hall County Commission to purchase & stabilize Head's (Healan) Mill.
*AuthoredHistoric Gainesville & Hall County, An Illustrated History.
*PresentsChristmas on Green Street, a Victorian festival on the 1st Sunday in December each year.
*Rescued & hopes to relocate 1850's Roberts log cabin.
Phone: 770 503-1319